If you are getting a divorce, you probably already know that the process can bring out a host of bitter emotions. Such emotions make it remarkably easy to act out in negative ways during a divorce, especially when the well-being of your children is at stake.
Our experience serving families in North Andover, Massachusetts, and Nashua, New Hampshire, has given us insight into all aspects of divorce, including child custody matters. We have seen far too many parents unknowingly harm their chances of emerging from child custody battles with the best outcome. As such, we wish to share with you some of the actions that can put your custody rights at risk.
Avoid these behaviors when pursuing child custody
- Not remaining in close contact with your kids during the divorce
- Lashing out at your co-parent in anger or frustration
- Not learning as much as possible about state custody laws
- Spanking your children or practicing other forms of physical discipline
- Dating other people before resolving divorce and custody matters
- Not making your environment safe and healthy for your children
- Attempting to alienate your kids from your co-parent
- Making derogatory remarks about your co-parent
- Not acquiring the services of an experienced legal representative
We know that you love your children and want to remain an active part of their lives. The best way you can reach your child custody goals is through showing respect for your children, your co-parent and the state’s family court system.
Our lawyers invite you to learn more about achieving fair child custody and visitation orders by reviewing more of the content on our website. You may also reach out to us for personalized assistance with your divorce and custody goals.