Going through a divorce can be emotionally and physically challenging. It’s important to prioritize self-care during this time to support your well-being. Not only will doing so allow you to navigate the divorce process more effectively – and may keep you from lashing out in ways that could compromise your case – processing this major life transition in truly healthy ways can help to ensure a brighter future.
As you consider how best to achieve self-care during a notoriously busy and stressful time, consider the following.
Fostering your emotional well-being
There are numerous steps you can take to make sure your mental health is protected, such as:
- Seek Support: Surround yourself with a strong support system that includes family, friends and/or a therapist who can provide emotional support and guidance. Sharing your feelings, concerns and experiences with trusted individuals can help alleviate stress and provide perspective.
- Practice Self-Compassion: Be kind to yourself and acknowledge that going through a divorce is a difficult process. Allow yourself to feel a range of emotions without judgment.
- Prioritize Self-Care Activities: Dedicate time to engage in activities that nurture your emotional well-being. This may include exercise, meditation, journaling, hobbies and/or creative outlets.
There are a number of ways to facilitate these goals that, thankfully, don’t cost a thing.
Taking care of your body
The stress of divorce can also negatively affect your physical health, so be proactive:
- Prioritize Sleep and Nutrition: Divorce can be emotionally draining, so it’s crucial to prioritize sleep and maintain a healthy diet. Aim for a consistent sleep schedule and focus on consuming nutritious meals to support your physical and mental health.
- Engage in Physical Activity: Regular exercise can be a powerful tool for managing stress and improving your overall well-being. Find an activity that you enjoy, whether it’s going for walks, practicing yoga or singing along while riding your Peloton.
Remember, self-care during divorce is essential for navigating this challenging time resiliently and maintaining your overall well-being. If you are struggling with the idea that focusing your attention on self-care is “indulgent” or a luxury, know that it is not.